WATER SAFETY CERTIFICATION COURSES
Open to all currently certified Red Cross lifeguards for skills review and re-certification valid for 2 years.
2018 Training dates/times: TBA REGISTER
LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION COURSE ($325)
This course will prepare candidates in the American Red Cross Lifeguard course and it includes First Aid and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, Oxygen Administration and Preventing Disease Transmission.
2018 Course Dates/Times: TBA
- Participants must be a minimum of 15 years old and be able to pass a pre-test on the first day. (If unable to pass the prerequisite phase a refund minus a $50 processing fee will be given)
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Students who pass the practical and written exams receive certification that includes Lifeguard certification (valid for 2 years) and First Aid, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer (valid for 2 years).
WATER SAFETY INSTRUCTION CERTIFICATION ($375)
This course will train WSI candidates to teach water safety, including the Basic Water Rescue course, six levels of Learn to Swim and Parent/Child Aquatics.
2018 Program Dates/Times: TBA
Participants must be a minimum of 16 years old and have intermediate (American Red Cross Level 4) swimming skills and also be able to pass the water safety assessment on the first day.
(If unable to pass the first day assessment - a full refund minus a $50 processing fee will be given)
First Day Water Safety Assessment
- 25 yd. front crawl (free style), 25 yd. back crawl, 25 yd. breast stroke, 25 yd. elementary back stroke, 15 yd butterfly stroke.
- Tread water for 1 minute
- Back float for 1 minute
Students who pass the practical and written exams receive certification as a Water Safety Instructor.
FOR BOTH COURSES:
Please come prepared with:
- Extra Towel
- Extra clothes
Any registration cancellations received before June 1st will be refunded, minus a $50.00 processing fee. There will be no refunds for cancellations received after June 1st. No refunds will be offered for failure to complete, attend, drop or failing to pass (final practical and written exam).