Human Resources Generalist
Fenn is seeking an HR Generalist to play a pivotal role in ensuring that our Talent and HR practices are best-in-class to fully support the foundation of our school: our people.
The HR Generalist is a year-round, full-time, beneﬁts-eligible position responsible for supporting school leadership in the areas of Talent Acquisition, Employee Engagement, and HR Compliance and Operations. This role requires a candidate with excellent interpersonal skills, as you will often be asked to work closely with others across diﬀerent departments. The HR Generalist will play a pivotal role collaborating with school leadership to oversee the full-cycle of employee activities for our Faculty and Staﬀ. You will be part of every aspect of the employee experience, from supporting recruiting to onboarding and new hire orientations, and you will help us make sure we can attract the best talent to our community. Once our faculty and staﬀ are here, you will help make their experience at Fenn a positive one, from organizing employee events and training programs to listening and engaging, all the while ensuring that our core operations of HR, including pay, beneﬁts, contract renewals, sick time, and PTO, all ﬂow ﬂawlessly.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and implement end-to-end candidate hiring processes to ensure a positive candidate experience
- Partner with the Head of School to ensure a clear understanding of hiring needs, assist with sourcing and screening candidates, run background checks, assist with new hire onboarding, conduct compliance checks, extract and analyze reports, generate oﬃcial internal documents such as oﬀer letters and faculty contracts.
- Maintain and advance best practices related to equity in hiring, including establishing a process to help recruit and retain a diverse workforce
- Assist Summer Fenn staﬀ with annual onboarding of summer camp staﬀ
EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT & ENRICHMENT
- Perform a variety of duties to promote employee welfare, including supporting school leadership to conduct Fenn's annual engagement survey
- Partner with leadership and faculty/staﬀ to listen and help resolve human relations or work-related issues aﬀecting morale and productivity
- Provide education in human resources best practices for managers and supervisors
- Organize training to help educate the community around relevant employment matters or changes in employment law
- Work with leadership to manage the annual review process and make recommendations to evolve the process to best serve Fenn’s needs
- Assist with staﬀ recognition events for service and retirement
- Serve as a conﬁdential sounding board for faculty and staﬀ
HR COMPLIANCE & OPERATIONS
- Provide support to the Payroll and Beneﬁts Administrator, including reviewing payroll for accuracy and ensuring compliance with payroll laws and regulations
- Work with the Business Manager on annual compliance audits, including Worker’s Compensation and retirement plan audits
- Manage annual open enrollment for employee beneﬁts
- Ensure compliance with all laws and regulations governing human resources
- Review and update employee handbook annually
- Work with beneﬁts administrator to facilitate beneﬁts enrollment and regular management of beneﬁts
- Prepare and manage terminated employees' paperwork and process, including COBRA, unemployment, and exit interviews
- Maintain physical and digital ﬁles for employees and their documents, beneﬁts, and attendance records
Skills and Competencies
- Our ideal candidate will have excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- 2-5 years of experience, preferably as an HR Generalist, Talent Acquisition, or HR Operations Specialist
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience
- Strong technical background with Microsoft Excel and experience with Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and other software is necessary
- Strong ethics and the ability to handle sensitive information and situations discreetly with complete conﬁdentiality are required
- Self-starter with the ability to multitask
- Eager to support the school’s mission of diversity, equity, and inclusion and display an understanding of cultural competence
- Ability to work in a small oﬃce environment; non-proﬁt school experience is desirable.
- Proactive communicator
The Fenn School is fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty, staﬀ, and student body. The Fenn School does not discriminate in hiring or terms or conditions of employment on the basis of sex, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, age, marital status, military or veteran status, application for military service, race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. The School is eager to consider applications from traditionally underrepresented groups.
Fenn oﬀers a highly competitive salary and a generous beneﬁts package. Interested candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and resume to David Platt, Associate Head of School for Finance and Operations, at the following email address: email@example.com. Receipt of materials will be acknowledged via email.