Educational Technology Vision Statement
The Fenn School seeks to prepare boys for a lifetime of learning. Its use of technology complements these efforts by helping boys to become thoughtful, knowledgeable, empathetic and critical users of technology to achieve their larger educational goals. Simultaneously, Fenn strives to balance the time a boy spends in the digital and non-digital realms, prioritizing the unmatched value of in-person, face to face interactions with peers, teachers and parents.
At Fenn, technology should
Enhance the collaboration between student and teacher, making feedback more meaningful, reflection more frequent, and the learning process and growth more visible.
Enhance communication and collaboration between students.
Empower students to tailor their learning experiences to their individual needs.
Foster ethical and responsible digital citizenship, with guidance and support from knowledgeable faculty and engaged parents.
Promote informed, critical consumption of information and media.
Offer students the opportunity for innovation, creativity, resourceful problem solving, and demonstrating understanding and mastery of a given topic.
Throughout the entire Fenn campus, boys are:
- creating iMovies to reflect on literature and historical events
- producing podcasts of chapters from The Odyssey
- utilizing Google Earth and Skype to become more globally knowledgeable in social studies
- relying on electronic notebooks in science classes
- creating literary musical accompaniment on iPads and GarageBand
- programming TI-graphing calculators in math
- employing devices such as spectrometers and Vernier temperature probes to conduct science experiments
- mastering our state-of-the-art tech booth in the meeting and performance hall and in music classes
- composing with the aid of Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI)
- teaching themselves how to play the piano with the use of virtual keyboards
- been honored in regional and state FIRST Lego Robotics championships
- converted a car's diesel engine to run on used vegetable oil as part of a sustainability initiative
- designed and built a solar iPad charger
“We teach boys how to use technology effectively and appropriately, including lessons on digital safety and responsible use of technology. Being a good citizen is just as important in the digital world as it is in the ‘real’ world.” – Jeff LaPlante, Director of Technology
Using technology at Fenn means being a good digital citizen, and instruction comes largely from advisors, classroom teachers, and the librarians. Internet safety is addressed in the Student Life curriculum in grades six through nine, and programs on internet use are frequently available to parents.
Though technology is a valuable tool, Fenn strives to balance the digital and non-digital realms in a boy’s life. We continue to look at technology as a way to better accomplish what we have always tried to do at Fenn: help boys develop into thoughtful, articulate, and empathetic young men.